Signed Bar Roll
LLB, University of Adelaide
LLM (Corporate & Commercial)
Areas of Practice
- Judicial review of administrative actions
- Professional Liability Law
- Wills and Estates
- Banking Finance & Securities Law
- Commercial Law - General
- Consumer Protection and Credit Law
- Corporations and Securities Law
- Insolvency, Bankruptcy and Liquidation Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Landlord and Tenant
- Occupational Health and Safety Law
- Product Liability Law
- Property Conveyancing Law
- Trade Practices and Competition Law
|1993||Associate to Justice Matheson, Supreme Court of South Australia|
|1994 - 1997||Barratt Lindquist|
|1997 - 1999||Fisher Jeffries|
|1999 - 2006||Cowell Clarke (Partner)|
|2006 – 2018||Member of Bar Chambers|
|2016 – 2018||Senior Member part time of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal|
|2018 -||Associate Member of Bar Chambers|
|2018 -||Deputy President of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal|
Peter is currently working full time as Deputy President in the Adelaide Registry of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal having been appointed for 7 years from 2 July 2018. He works across all divisions of the amalgamated Tribunal but primarily in the General Division and the Tax and Commercial Division. He remains an associate member of Bar Chambers.
Peter is an experienced commercial litigator and has appeared as Counsel in the Federal, Supreme, District and Magistrates Courts. Particular interests are property, insolvency and bankruptcy, trade practices and corporate law.
Peter has presented several papers at the Law Society on topics including unconscionability, property, insolvency and the Trade Practices Act.
- Acquista Investments v The Urban Renewal Authority  SASC 206 – administrative law – acting as junior counsel for purchaser of Gillman land – appeal to Full Court.
- Moore Stephens Adelaide Pty Ltd v WYKA Consulting Pty Ltd (No 3)  SADC 4 – restraint of trade – acting for accountancy practice seeking to impose restraint of trade on an ex-consultant – appeal to Full Court.
- Zeitouneh v SA Police  SADC 34 – administrative law – acting for appellant in an application under the Freedom of Information Act, 1991.
- Divitkos, In the matter of ExDVD Pty Ltd (in liquidation)  FCA 696 – receivers – acting for Commonwealth Bank of Australia in a claim for subrogration.
- Rasch Nominees Pty Ltd v Bartholomaeus  SASCFC 23 – real property – acting as junior counsel for purchaser of land in dispute with holder of option.
- Davies v Apted  SASCFC 92 – contract – acting for defendant denying liability for a loan
- Cooper v Pretty Nominees Pty Ltd (No 2)  SADC 75 – preference claim – acting for defendant to a claim by a liquidator.
- Naudi, Trustee of Taylor v PeeVee Nominees Pty Ltd  FCA 536 – costs – acting for bankruptcy trustee in Federal Court litigation.
- Kraguljac v A&B Property Developments Pty Ltd (No 2)  SASC 1 – real estate contract – acting for defendant to claim for breach of contract.
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Commercial & General Law (SA) Pty Ltd  FCA 1269 – insolvency – acting for Deputy Commissioner of Taxation on an application for review of power by Registrar in the Federal Court.
- Jones v Superannuation Complaints Tribunal  FCA 1255 – administrative law – acting for Statewide Superannuation Pty Ltd in dispute regarding service under section 14(3) of the Superannuation (Resolution of Complaints) Act, 1993.
- Jebsens International (Australia) Pty Ltd v Interfert Australia Pty Ltd  SASC 50 – arbitration – shipping and navigation – acting as junior counsel for plaintiff alleging breach of charter party agreement.
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Marro (SA) Pty Ltd  FCA 1024 – winding up – acting for Deputy Commissioner of Taxation defending an application to set aside a winding up order.
- Khuu & Lee Pty Ltd v Corporation of the City of Adelaide  SASCFC – administrative law – landlord and tenant – acting for council in lease dispute at Central Market – appeared as junior counsel in High Court Special Leave Application.
Recent Pro Bono
Work for JusticeNet:
- Arruzzolo v Westpac – claim in Supreme Court to discharge guarantees (2014)
- Jung v Hill – residential property dispute in District Court (2014)
- Petrenko v Tsiplakidis – property dispute in District Court under Domestic Partners Property Act, 1996 (2015)
Papers and Seminars Delivered:
- “A Public Policy Approach to Litigation Funding” published in the Insolvency Law Journal, June 2000
- “The Modern Doctrine of Estoppel” Law Society Seminar, 4 October 2006
- “The High Court decision in Black v Garnock” Law Society Seminar, 24 June 2009
- “Recent case law in retail and commercial leasing” Law Society Seminar, 15 October 2008
- “Landlord issues” Law Society Seminar, 18 February 2010
- “Statutory Demands” SA Bar Association Seminar, 17 May 2011
- “Retail and Commercial Leasing traps and pitfalls” Law Society Seminar, 8 June 2011
- “Unconscionability in commercial leasing” Legalwise Seminar, 29 February 2012
- “Property case law update” Law Society Seminar, 14 February 2013
- “Application of the Retail & Commercial Leases Act” Law Society Seminar, 6 February 2014
- “Leasing in a downturn market” Legalwise Seminar, 20 November 2014